Many people think of the quintessential water dripping in a bucket in the middle of the room as the key indicator that you need roof repair. While that is certainly one telling sign that something needs to be fixed, there are several other signs that indicate a problem. Knowing what you need to keep an eye out for will allow you to take better care of your home.
Below is a short list of signs indicating the need to have your roof repaired:
- Chunks of roofing material collecting in the gutters or draining from the gutters
- Roofs that are older than 20 years may need to be entirely replaced depending on the condition they are in; at the least, they need to be inspected more frequently as they age
- Leaks from the roof
- Light coming through the roof
- Increased cost in energy usage that is not attributable to other causes
- Moss growth; cleaning moss off can cause roofing materials to break down
- Bulges in the ceiling indicating moisture accumulation
Pay attention and be on the lookout for these signs in your home. If you’re able to recognize an issue right away, there is a lot less damage done to your home, and the fix is generally a lot less expensive. Roof repair can be serious if it is put off or neglected. Stay on top of the health of your home to make sure that problems are taken care of immediately. As you do so, you’ll extend the lifespan of your roof.